Beat the Phoenix heat with these kid-friendly ideas!
As the temperature rises above 100 degrees in Phoenix, a little relief from the heat can go a long way. With museums and other indoor attractions closed this summer, it can be tricky to find fun ways to stay cool. If your family is looking for a little fun, try some of these kid-friendly ways to cool off in during the Arizona summer.
Drive-in movies theatres have made a comeback during summer 2020. They’re a great choice for families with young children because you can stay socially distanced in your own car. The kids can talk through the movie without disturbing other movie-goers. And best of all: you can bring your own snacks, like this delicious sweet popcorn snack mix.
The Fairmont Scottsdale Princess is showing kid-friendly movies through the end of August. There are a number of drive-in theatres in the Phoenix area.
At-Home Water Play
The possibilities are endless for at-home water play. Consider how you can make use of the outdoor space at home. Some great places to set up for water play include a backyard, patio, driveway, or garage. Bonus points if any of those places have shade! If your house doesn’t have natural shade, consider investing in an umbrella or canopy for those hot afternoons.
A simple way for kids to cool off is a plastic kiddie pool. Babies and toddlers love to splash and play in the water. They also enjoy pouring water into different containers. Try measuring cups and sandbox buckets for simple and affordable entertainment. Don’t forget to add some toy animals or people to encourage imaginative play!
For older, more active kids, sprinklers and hoses provide lots of fun. Preschoolers will love running through a rotating sprinkler. You can also create your own “splash pad” with a tarp and a sprinkler. This is a great idea for mixed-age families. Babies and toddlers can sit on the edge and splash in the water, while older kids can run through the sprinkler. Check out some awesome kid-friendly sprinklers.
A water table is another great way for young kids to cool off in the summer. They’re quicker to set up than some of the other water play ideas. You can find water tables made especially for this purpose or you can take a shallow plastic bin and turn it into a water play bin. Bins are especially good for babies who aren’t walking yet.
The best part is deciding how to fill the table! The possibilities are endless. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Your child’s favorite waterproof toys.
- Add ice cubes
- Create a washing station! Add dish soap, washcloths, sponges, and scrub brushes. This is a great way to clean dirty toys.
- Try natural items like rocks, smooth stones, seashells, twigs, or even leaves and flowers.
When all else fails, create some cozy and cool fun indoors. Here are some simple ideas for indoor play:
- Try building a fort in the living room. Make it more fun with fairy lights, snacks, and pillows and blankets. Have a family movie night or read books together in your cozy space.
- Make popsicles or ice cream. These classic summer treats will delight any child and make great memories for your family. This project can be as simple or complex as you’d like. For gourmet ice cream, you can invest in an ice cream maker. For a simple at-home treat, try ice cream in a bag. Popsicles can be poured into molds or paper cups.