There’s no doubt Christmas looks different than normal this year for everyone. If you are looking for something fun to do with the kids over the holidays, we’ve got you covered! Read on, grab your supplies, and create some family memories!
With a few simple ingredients and some creativity, you and the kids can make your own salt dough ornaments! The best part, every time you get them out, you will remember making them in 2020 – the year the whole family was together.
We’re proud to have served Arizona families with safe and affordable childcare programs they can trust since 1967.
Not a part of our family yet? Stop by and take a tour, today!
We can’t wait to meet you!
The best thing about making salt dough ornaments is that you probably already have all the ingredients you need right in your pantry. No midnight runs to the grocery store, and no worries that the kids will be bored.
Here is a simple salt dough ornament recipe you and the kids can use this Christmas!
What You’ll Need To Make Salt Dough Ornaments –
4 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 ½ cup water
• Sift the flour and salt together, mixing well
• Make sure the water is nice and hot, then slowly add it to the salt and flour mixture
• Stir the mixture with a wooden spoon
• Finish mixing by hand, kneading the salt dough until it is soft and easy to work with
• Place flour on a cutting board, then roll the salt dough out to 1/8″ thickness
• Use cookie cutters to create fun holiday shapes
• Insert a toothpick at the top of each ornament to make hanging easy
• Bake in a 325 degree oven for one hour or until the salt dough has hardened
Once the salt dough ornaments are hard, allow them to cool, then paint or decorate to your heart’s delight.
Ornaments can be decorated with non-toxic acrylic paint, markers, glue, glitter, and more! Your creativity is the only limit, so let your imagination run wild!
When you are done, your family will have a new, wonderful memory as well as tradition you’ll be excited to celebrate each year!